IEP HELP FOR FAMILIES
- Individualized IEP Support: phone, email, or in-person
- PEAC U Trainings: in-person
- IEP Clinics Workshops
Parent Consultant Network
Experience is the best teacher! This is
The Parent Consultant Network (PCN) is a group of informed and supported parent experts. The PCN embodies the idea that parents are experts and utilizes the collective wisdom of parents “who have been there” to support the improvement of inclusive special education. When parents are equal partners in decision-making and change, successful and effective education for ALL students is possible!
Every member of the PCN is the parent of a child who receives special education services and is committed to inclusive education for ALL children. Parent Consultants are trained and supported by PEAC as well as the expertise of professional consultants who are dedicated to uplifting the voice of parents.
Parent Consultants provide several services to the community. Family services include the following:
- discuss specific issues via email and phone.
- help parents prepare for IEP meetings.
attendIEP meetings to take notes, help stay on task, etc.*
- connect families with the resources they need.
*Please note that PEAC Parent Consultants are NOT legal advocates or attorneys. Rather, they are parent mentors who can help support the collaborative process in IEP meetings. If parents feel they need the support of a professional advocate or an attorney, PEAC can recommend qualified individuals.
*PEAC is not currently able to assist
*PEAC is not currently recruiting new Parent Consultants.
PEAC’s Training and Workshops
PEAC has offered Workshops and
PEAC Workshops include:
- Planning an Inclusive and Collaborative Transition
- Speaking for System Change: How to Share Your Story
- Special Education Law: Building Blocks and Basics
- Aligning IEP Goals with State Standards for Education
- Navigating the IEP
- Talking To Your Child About Their Disability – Share Your Story
- Supporting Diverse Learners in School and in the Community
Are you involved with a group that would benefit from these presentations? Please email us to receive a copy of the PowerPoint presentations for these workshops or copies of the handouts. PEAC is unable to give guest presentations at this time.
IEP Clinics are scheduled a few times a year at various sites around Eastern PA. Clinics are absolutely free and open to all parents in PA districts. Join our mailing list to get notifications of upcoming clinics, as space is limited. Clinics tend to fill up quickly.
Suggested Talking Points Include; Inclusion, Goal Writing, Secondary Transition, Assistive Technology, Positive Behavior Supports, Special Ed Law.
Although details may vary by location, clinics are generally run as follows:
- Schedule a 45-minute session with two expert consultants to improve your child’s IEP.
- Go home with IEP tips and a list of next steps.
- Enjoy networking tables, free resources and light refreshments.
- Spanish speaking experts are generally available when requested in advance.
- PEAC does it’s best to accommodate participants needs. Please let us know in advance if you require specific accommodations in order to participate!
- A quick interview will be conducted prior to the clinic by phone, in order to match you up with the most appropriate experts.